As mentioned in Crafting a Plan, spinning a song into a session plan is a major source of inspiration. Often the impetus is a song mentioned or sung by a senior living resident. The way it spins forth varies.
Here are 6 ways to spin a single song into a session plan.
#1 Song with the same theme/topic.
If a song is about dancing, find other songs that mention dancing
#2 Songs by the same composer or lyricist
Once you find who wrote the song, see what else they wrote.
#3 Other songs popular at the same time
Finding songs popular the same year or the same month can help you build a session around a period in time. Also look at other genres.
#4 Various versions of the same song
Often a song has been recorded by a range of artists. They may even come from various genres. Compare the songs. Discuss similarities and differences. Find out which version they like most/least. Which version do they best remember?
This section could have a post all its own. A few to consider are:
- Other songs recorded by the artist
- Other songs with that letter of the alphabet
- Other songs that use the same number
- Songs from the same musical or movie
#6 Ways can use it
Explore the many ways you can use the song.
- What types of movement does this song evoke?
- Is it one that works well for lyric analysis?
- Is it one that works well for lyric substitution>
- Is this a song people will know and sing?
- Is it well suited to playing the melody or chords on bells/Boomwhackers/ etc.?
Bonus idea: If a particular client requested the song, add their other favorites to create a session.